dogbowl camping oven
This experiment, like so many other of my harebrained pursuits, came as the result of wanting something but but being willing and/or able to pay retail for it. And sometimes things are rare on the used market. So we need what economists call a substitute good.
Stovetop camping ovens are expensive new and vanishly rare used. Enter the dogbowl oven (DBO hereafter):
- 2x 8.1″ bowls for the “oven”
- 1x 6.4″ bowl for medium baking dish
- 1x 5.25″ bowl for small baking dish
I already have a small bit of grate that will work for the bottom spacer. Total cost $12.80. All the bowls and clips nest neatly when not in use.
Dogbowl recipes are over here
DBO cooking presents some special challenges and will require experimentation with any given setup.
even temperature distribution
The larger issue is attenuating the intense heat focused on the bottom of the thin DBO materials.
A flame tamer (diffuser) or similar can help soften the impact of heat on the bottom of the DBO.
The main tool for internal attenuation is spacing between the DBO bottom and the cooking pan. The spacer should either be non-thermally-conductive or have minimal surface area touching the cooking pan. A trangia-style cooking stand or DIY may be useful. This one is cheap but does not fold. This one costs a bit more but stores flat to preserve the DBO’s nested storage benefits.
A cooking pan with lower thermal conductivity (glass, insulated bakeware, etc) may also help.
Cooking like this in a stovetop oven is often called dry baking, so you might want to search that. I assume it’s called that to differentiate it from steaming, braising, etc.
- Hiram Cook - Dry Baking a muffin with the Stove Top Oven. Features a discontinued “Stove Top Oven” put out by G & S Metal Products Co., Inc.
- more dry baking vids by Hiram
- Omnia Oven review. Features an Omnia Oven (durrrr…..).
- Chocolate walnut cake in a Wonder Pot stove top oven. Features a Wonder Pot oven (durrrr again). Possible Wonder Pot knockoff.
- Dry baking a muffin on the cheap using a mug, foil and lid.