rain catchment fails

There has been a bit of rain and I’d been trying to catch some with my usual angled setup. I caught some, enough to water the dog for a day or two. But wind has been tough (18mph sustained today), ripping up the tarp, knocking buckets over etc.

It was cool enough today that dog and I could do some cardio before the sun started to set. I think it maxxed out at 73F today up here.

I wanted the daylight to assess if there was going to be much standing water that might affect my ability to get out of this maximally-distant campsite. Luckily there were only two places with standing water and neither were on on the exit path. A good sign.

flat tarp experiment

flat tarp center

While walking I decided the angled tarp catchment was catching too much wind and it was time to try a flat tarp.

I used a tarp grommet kit to punch/line a hole in the ~center of the tarp and hung it as flat as possible. I ran a cord through the center and around a stick on the top and a rock at the bottom. This should help weight the center a big and help feed water into the bucket below. Who knows. That’s what experiments are for, to find out.


mastodon comment thread for this post
lemmy comment thread for this post