When I moved into the campervan in 2018 I sold my Honda NC700x and hitch carrier, and gave away the riding gear and Chinese 50cc and 150cc scooters. I plan on getting something simple and light to carry on the reciever hitch.
present use case
- bopping down forest roads and the like, scouting boondocking spots
- low speed pleasure riding. No desire to treat it like a dirtbike.
- milk runs to the nearest town
- light weight, small engine
- EFI preferred, as I will be everywhere from 0ft ASL to 11,000ft ASL. I suppose I could carry a couple carbs set up for lower and higher altitudes
- ability to hold 55mph for short jaunts
- electric start and kickstart preferred
- prefer biggers wheels (>12”) to handle dirt roads and rough streets
- non-origami riding position for 34” inseam
- non-spoked wheels preferred
- ~32” seat height preferred
- sidestand and centerstand preferred
- rear disc preferred for ease of maintenance
Scooters would have an advantage in grocery-getting and lower CoG for loading up the carrier ramp. Bikes would have the advantage of another contact point (knees on tank) and potentially bigger wheels.
In the real world I have limited resources and want something very light. From what I want most to least:
|Honda||CT125||31.5”||259lbs||EFI||17” spoked||53mph||4spd semi-auto||electric + kick||$3,899||Don’t need ABS|
|Lance (SYM)||Cabo 200i||31”||240lbs||EFI||12”||65mph||CVT||electric||$2,999||loved it in person|
|Yamaha||Zuma 125||30.7”||282lbs||EFI||12”||60mph||CVT||electric + kick||$3,699||Favorite scooter in person. Parts cheaper than Lance!|
|RPS||Hawk 250dlx||34”||278lbs||EFI||21/18 spoked||68mph||5spd manual||electric + kick||$1,999|
|Lifan||X-Pect||32.7”||286lbs||EFI||19/17 spoked||63mph||5spd manual||electric + kick||$2,299|
|Kymco||K-Pipe 125||31”||264lbs||carb||17”||50mph||4spd semi-auto + clutch||electric + kick||$2,249||minimal goodness, but underpowered even in this segment|
|RPS||Hawk 250||34”||278lbs||carb||21/18 spoked||60mph||5spd manual||electric + kick||$1,477|
|Suzuki||DR200||31.9”||249lbs||carb||17/18” spoked||60mph||5spd manual||electric||$4,199||weird ergos|
|Kawasaki||Z125||31.7”||225lbs||EFI||12” wheels||58mph||4spd manual||starter||$3,399||fits me better than the Grom in person|
|Honda||Grom||30”||231lbs||EFI||12”||58mph||4spd||electric||$3,499||knee interference in person|
|SSR||Razkull||29.5”||225lbs||carb||12”||mph||4spd manual||electric + kick||$1,999||seat too low|
The most practical for my budget and uses would probably be the Hawk 250DLX or Lance Cabo. Maybe a K-Pipe with a 138cc jug. Or a used Zuma with a slightly-oversized jug.