I read more than I watch, but if stuff is available on Amazon Prime I use that, downloading shows at Data Saver rates when near open wifi.
- Scary - Oculus (2013). I’m on the hunt for genuinely terrifying movies and this one is scary.
- Recommended - Dredd (2012, not the Stallone one). Surprisingly stylish and even meditative in places.
- Recommended – Death of Stalin – Kafkaesque comedy about totalitarian bureaucracy
- Recommended – Portrait of a Lady on Fire. Lyric, pensive French-language film (subtitled)
- Recommended – John Wick series – beautifully-choreographed “gun fu”, and Keanu is so watchable
- Worth the watch for free – Red – Willis, Mirren, et al in a retired spy caper. Clearly informed by John Wick.
- Avoid - League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003). Peta Wilson is delicious here, the steampunk design is cool, and the first half wasn’t terrible. After they hit Paris it turned into a very stupid action movie. I stopped paying attention. I saw it for free on Amazon Prime and I want my data back.
- Avoid – Aeon Flux .
- must see - Chernobyl. Compelling, infuriating, heartbreaking.
- exceptional – BBC’s Prime Suspect 1973. Murder/crime series with excellent acting, writing, costumes, etc.
- recommended – Altered Carbon (1st season) – excellent scifi
- recommended – Glitch – Australian scifi
I have an OTA window antenna on the van and can pick up shows when near town. I prefer the low-budget channels because they tend to broadcast at very low bitrates.
I capture the OTA in a Pi-based DVR described in the multimedia section of the build parts list.
- recommended – Gunsmoke – exceptional TV, and I don’t even like westerns
- recommended – Perry Mason – clever, occasionally naughty
- recommended – Kolchack, the Night Stalker – supernatural neo-noir, good fun.
- recommended – Cannon – the best of the 1970s detectives shows