isolator charging while stealthing, water use, appointments, etc
the alternator v. solar charging mix
I talk about alternator+solar charging often on reddit, and often remark that for me the mix is something like 95% solar and 5% alternator. Let’s do the math to see how far off I was.
- we are only talking about battery charging, not powering other loads
- when stealth camping I drive about 20mins a day: 10 in the morning (20A) and 10 in the evening (~10A, due to higher battery voltage)
- when boondocking I drive about 120mins every two weeks: 1 hour of reprovisioning and 1 hour of relocation
- in winter I need to replace ~55Ah to get to 100% the next day
calculated for a 14d period
- reprovisioning/relocation 40Ah, 5.2%
- solar 770Ah 94.8%
So my gut was fairly close for my normal boondocking. But I am stealthing for a couple months late this year. How different will it be?
while stealth camping
- morning drive 3.4Ah 6.18%
- evening drive 1.7Ah 3.1%
- solar 49.9Ah 90.7%
The alternator is playing a slightly bigger role than I expected. Interesting.
My tank only had ~3gals in it before I refilled yesterday. I thought “why am I using so much water” then realized it’d been 28 days!
I still have three medical appts in ELP that should be completed in Dec: optical followup, blood labs, and intake/annual. The optical got pushed back to the 22nd (doctor changed workdays) but everything else is holding steady.
mastodon comment thread for this post
twitter comment thread for this post