Presently at Kool Corner, a spot among irrigtion canals, agricultural fields, and rocky BLM land.
The landscape visible in this pic appears to be bulldozed rock moved out of the way when the irrigation canals were built. Actual rocky hills are behind me in this pic and over the berm on the left. The van is the white block about 1/3rd from the right edge.
The sunsets are lovely:
The temps have been mild but winds have been quite strong at times and flies were bad the last couple of days. There is a little horse ranch (?) to the SW so maybe the flies are associated with SW winds? Haven’t noticed.
I hung some netting up today and the flies are much decreased.
I have a couple Amazon packages coming in this week and will scout a new position after reprovisioning.
- retractable dog leash. I was opposed to retractables but bought a $5 one at Grocery Outlet as a proof of concept. The idea is good but the cheapie is poorly designed and gets internally tangled.
- bluetooth earpies to replace the one that died
- 2032 button batteries to power a clamp-on meter I was gifted
- Ryobi flashligh that uses the 18v One+ batts I already have for power tools. DC has one and I rather liek it.
- 60”x80” bug screen for the side door. No idea how well it will work but the crude screen I’m using on the back door is making a huge difference.
mobile data challenges
I have no usable OTA signal here and the cell data goes from usable for light browsing to unusable:
64 bytes from 18.104.22.168: icmp_seq=85 ttl=116 time=37557 ms 64 bytes from 22.214.171.124: icmp_seq=86 ttl=116 time=39811 ms 64 bytes from 126.96.36.199: icmp_seq=93 ttl=116 time=33866 ms 64 bytes from 188.8.131.52: icmp_seq=94 ttl=116 time=33259 ms
Yes, 30-second pings will do it. MVNOs are great for cost but when it gets congested the hind teat doesn’t get much throughput.
twitter comment thread for this post